Album US 1964 on Blue Note label
Jazz (Free Improvisation, Hard-Bop, Modal)
Recorded on August 30, 1963.
Original first pressings can be determined by the following details [also see image section]:
1. 'Deep Groove' stamped in the label paper of side 1 only
2. Address on labels is New York USA
3. Address on back cover is 43 West 31st St., New York 23
4. Deadwax area has the Plastylite pressing plant "ear" (pretzel shaped, hand etched "P")
5. Deadwax area has the VAN GELDER stamp; the cat.nr. is hand etched
6. Front cover is not laminated
Versions that do not carry the Plastylite "ear" (aka the pretzel shaped, etched "P") are all reissues, released after Liberty Records bought the Blue Note label and are not first pressings. These and the above details courtesy of the "Blue Note Records Guide For Identifying Original Pressings", written by Frederick Cohen from Jazz Record Center, New York.
The nick name of percussionist Osvaldo "Chihuahua" Martinez is misspelled on the front cover and reads "Chihuahau". This typo survived many reissues, but was finally corrected on the 2006 CD reissue in the RVG Edition series; the front of the booklet there now correctly states "Chihuahua".